Hooghly origin and mythology
Rivers are the lifelines of India. Among the major rivers in India, the Ganges is revered and respected across the country. Every drop of the river which has its origins in the magnificent Indian mythology, is craved by every Hindu as the river is considered the purest of cleansers on this mortal planet.
The Ganges is called the Hooghly in Kolkata. This beautiful, vast river connects two cities of Kolkata and Howrah. In its upper reaches the river is generally known as the Bhāgirathi, until it reaches Hooghly. The word Bhāgirathi literally means "caused by Bhagiratha", a mythical Sagar Dynasty prince who was instrumental in bringing the river Ganges from the heavens on to the earth, in order to release his 60,000 grand-uncles from a curse of the saint Kapila.
Why is Hooghly important
The Bhāgirathi-Hooghly river system is an essential lifeline for the people of West Bengal. It was through this river that the East India company sailed into Bengal and established their trade settlement, Calcutta, the capital of British India. People from other countries such as the French, Dutch, Portuguese, etc. all had their trade settlements by the banks of this river.
What all you get to see on the journey
This country boat journey will give you a tremendous opportunity to get to see many people from different walks of life. You shall see boats ferrying people between banks to their offices, masseurs, bathers who dip themselves in the holy river to cleanse all their sins, and by their sides you can see dhobis washing clothes in the lots. And most of all, you get to experience the majesty that is Hooghly in 360 degrees as your boat slowly trundles along the river.
When you take all that is to see along the river banks, you realise how important this life line called Hooghly is to people from both Kolkata and Howrah. And how can you miss the magnificent, gargantuan Howrah bridge. This colossus is almost a kilometer long and 71 feet in width. This suspended cantilever bridge was thrown open to the local population on 3rd of February 1943. It allows traffic to cross the river both ways.
10 astonishing facts
- 150,000 vehicles of all sizes use this magnificent bridge every day
- It is the third-longest cantilever bridge at the time of its construction
- The Howrah Bridge is currently the sixth-longest bridge of its type in the world
- Hooghly is approximately 260-kilometre-long (160 mi) distributary of the Ganga river in West Bengal
- It was through this river that the East India company sailed into Bengal and established their trade settlement, Calcutta, the capital of British India
- Rudyard Kipling wrote an article, On the Banks of the Hugli
- With an area of around 185 sq km, Kolkata is considered to be the 2nd largest city of India after New Delhi.
- Until 1911, Kolkata was the capital of India due to its trade importance during the British Rule in India. Later, Delhi was made the capital of India.
- The Kidderpore Port is the oldest port in India.
- Polo is not usually associated with India but Kolkata holds an exception. Incepted in 1862, the Calcutta Polo club is the oldest polo club in the world.
What is included in the tour
- A private air-conditioned vehicle
- Service of an English speaking guide on private basis
- Complimentary mineral water
- Boat ride
What is not included in the tour
- Entrance fees
- Camera fee
- Any other item not mentioned under ‘Inclusions’
Things to know about the tour
- Booking should be made at least 2 days prior (excluding weekends)
- For any entrance fee or camera fee, please pay directly (our guide will assist you in buying any entry tickets, if applicable)
- After you book the experience a voucher will be generated and sent to your email ID. The voucher will have all the information – including contact details of the experience provider
- A 'No Show' will result in No Refund.
- You will be collected from within the city limits.
- Duration of the trip is 3-4 hours (from pick up to drop off)
- Best time to do this experience is between 6AM and 6PM
Cost of the tour
INR 6007 (Adult 12+ years)
INR 3003 (Children 5 - 11 years)
"Prices are based on minimum 2 adults. If there is just one adult OR if there is one adult + 1 child, please select ‘2’ adults to complete the reservation. We will charge for a minimum of 2 adults. ".
Book your Kolkata country boat ride